Runners who wear trainers with no cushioning and land on the ball of their foot rather than the heel put significantly less demand on their bodies, new research suggests.
Researchers compared how quickly the force acts when runners’ feet hit the ground — known as the loading rate — which has been shown to influence running injury risk.
The study of 29 runners found significantly lower loading rates for those who wore so-called minimal trainers and landed on the ball of their foot, compared to people in normal running shoes, regardless of whether the latter landed on the heel or ball of the foot.
Lead author Dr Hannah Rice, of the University of Exeter, said: “So many people use running as a means of reducing the risk of chronic diseases, but about three quarters of runners typically get injured in a year.
“Footwear is easily modifiable but many runners are misguided when it comes to buying new trainers. “This research shows that running in minimal shoes and landing on the balls of your feet reduces loading rates and may therefore reduce the risk of injury.”
Running continues to grow in popularity, and research aimed at reducing the high incidence of running-related injuries has been ongoing for decades — but injury rates have not fallen.
Modern-day runners in cushioned footwear tend to land on their heel — known as a “rearfoot strike” — while those who run in the natural barefoot state are more likely to land on the ball of their foot – a “forefoot strike”.
Rearfoot strike runners experience an abrupt vertical impact force each time the foot lands on the ground. This impact force is often missing when running with a forefoot strike, but previous research has shown that forward/backwards and sideways forces can be higher with a forefoot strike, meaning the total force is similar.
Total force seems to be similar between foot strikes if wearing modern, cushioned trainers.
Dr Rice said: “This seems to suggest that, for runners in traditional, cushioned running shoes, foot strike pattern may not matter for injury risk.
“However, we suspected that the same may not be true of runners who regularly use minimal shoes, which don’t have the cushioning provided by traditional running shoes.
“Our research tells us that becoming accustomed to running with a forefoot strike in shoes that lack cushioning promotes a landing with the lowest loading rates, and this may be beneficial in reducing the risk of injury”
Any transition to new footwear or to a different foot strike pattern should be undertaken gradually, and with guidance.
- A wide toe box lets your toes spread and relax.
- Produced using animal free products and processes.
- Removable sockliner (insole) if you want a “more barefoot” feeling.
- True rubber sole provides great protection while still getting the ground feedback.
- Note, if between sizes, order next size down
- Anatomical shape provides natural comfort.
- Adaptive materials and minimalist construction.
- Zero drop from heel to toe for a natural stride.
- Our vegan friendly footwear uses 0% animal products.
- Note, if between sizes, order next size down.
- Rubber outsoles offer the optimal balance of traction and durability, with a responsive feel on unpredictable terrain.circular lug patterns provide grip during movement
- Removable insoles support the feet’s arches and not cause too much pressure and transfer weight over the ball of the feet.
- Thicker topline wrapped perfectly around feet, which make shoes not fall off during exercise
- Reflective strip on heel counter,make sure safty during exercise at night
- The purpose of minimalist shoes is to give our feet maximum amount of freedom to move and function as if we are walking barefoot.
- Alert : True to size ! Recommend ordering usual shoe size
- ex: usual size MEN 7 (D) > MEN 7(D)
- TSLA's Zero-Drop Barefoot Shoes© designed for performance and outdoor trail activities.
- [Slightly cushioned zero-drop sole] Offers barefoot feel of the terrain that stimulates and develops the bottom muscles the of foot for better stability.
- [Dura Nylon Band] For instep support and a enhanced tight fit.
- Vibram TC5+
- Merrell Barefoot 2 construction for enhanced proprioception and stability during variable movement
- Closure type is: Lace-Up
- Wide Toe Box Design - Wide enough toe box allows your toes to relax and spread out naturally for more comfort and stability in uphill climbs and downhill descents, helping with balance and giving you better feedback from the ground.
- Barefoot Inspired - Wearing this barefoot you’ll engage your feet more, and strengthen the muscle fibers that get neglected when you’re all laced up. With stronger accessory muscles in the foot, injury rates were expected to drop and running efficiency would improve.
- Lightweight & Flexible - The flexible synthetic mesh upper provide breathability when you are doing workout or running, breathable mesh design and insoles can keep your feet away from damp conditions.
- Various Activities - This trail running shoes are suitable for many occasions, such as walking,training, running, jogging, physical exercises, daily gym sports and so on. You can also wear it as a water shoe.
- WARRANTEE & CUSTOMER SERVICE - We produce every pair of shoes responsibly. We trust that you will enjoy our shoes so all of our shoes come with a 12 months Warrantee. If for any reason you are not entirely satisfied, please contact us.
- Minimalist Barefoot Style Design - achieve your physical fitness by simulating the true barefoot feeling. For barefoot style shoes new user, please took time to get use to this healthy feeling gradually.
- Wide Toe Box Safety Design - upgrade toe shoes design, without the separate slots for your toes. Set free your toes as real "barefoot style (a natural stride)" to invoid hurting toes when use.
- The tongue-less design - foot fits through a collar-like opening to slide into the shoe. Tighten shoeslace (army green shoes come with unique elastic lacing system) to enjoy lightweight "second skin" feeling.
- Removable Exclusive Arch Support Insole (Zero Drop Style) - gives you enough support to help you strength and exercise your own muscles and bones (provide less support than common running shoes).
- Indoor Activities-gym deadlifts, squats, lifting, treadmill jogging, yoga, spinning bike, rope skippingaerobics, fitball, hotball, abdomen back stretch, and working out in general Outdoor Activities- camping, casual walking, training, running, jogging, biking, hiking, climbing, camping, and vacation etc.
- Knit&Mesh upper with zero-drop minimal rubber outsole:Lightweight,Breathable,Flexible response
- Removable insoles support the feets' arches and not cause too much pressure and transfer weight over the ball of the feet
- lace-up closure for a secure, adjustable fit.
- A wider than average toe box to allow the forefoot to spread
- The purpose of minimalist shoes is to give our feet maximum amount of freedom to move and function as if we are walking barefoot
- Minimalist running shoe featuring perforated upper with adjustable pull tab and cord closure
- VI-Lite Midsole with XS Run outsole rubber compound
- Mont Compound rubber pads in the outsole. INSOLE: 2mm EVA Anti-Microbial Drilex Sockliner, MIDSOLE: 4mm EVA
- Please be aware this product runs one size large. Please size down 1 size from your normal VFF size
- Vibram TC5+
- TrailProtect pad offers underfoot protection
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.