BEND, Ore. – Lower leg pain and injuries have long been a problem for runners, but research at Oregon State University-Cascades has shown that one type of running shoe may increase such risks for some runners.
Researchers in the Functional Orthopedic Research Center of Excellence (FORCE) Lab compared the biomechanics associated with “maximal” and “neutral” running shoes in tests with 15 female runners. The study concluded that runners experienced a higher impact peak and increased loading rate with the “maximal” shoes. Increases in both factors are associated with a greater likelihood of injury, such as plantar fasciitis and tibial stress fractures.
The study was published in The Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine and is believed to be the first rigorous analysis of impacts associated with maximal shoes.
Maximal running shoes feature increased cushioning, particularly in the forefoot region of the midsole, and have gained popularity since being introduced in 2010. More than 20 varieties of maximal shoes are on the market.
Runners wearing maximal shoes, the researchers wrote, have reported feeling the extra cushion after running two to three miles. As a result, the researchers did not expect to find increases in impact peak or loading rate in runners wearing maximal shoes.
In the FORCE Lab study, researchers evaluated the impacts on runners’ feet and legs before and after a simulated 5,000 meter (about 3 miles) run on a treadmill. Each subject wore a neutral running shoe (New Balance 880) for one test and then, after a seven to 10-day waiting period, repeated the procedure with a maximal shoe (Hoke One One Bondi 4). In each test, 3D movements and forces were measured by monitoring reflective markers placed on the runners’ shoes and legs and by having the subjects run over a “force plate” that recorded the forces being applied as the runner’s foot hit the surface.
“We were surprised by these results,” said Christine Pollard, director of the FORCE Lab and an associate professor of kinesiology. “We thought we would see the opposite. Typically, increased cushioning results in a reduction in the impact peak and loading rate of the vertical ground reaction force. We suspect that the large amount of cushioning across the entire midsole caused the runners to rely more on the shoe than on their own internal structures to attenuate these forces.”
The study also evaluated the degree of “peak eversion,” the outward turning of the foot, a factor associated with injury risk. The researchers found no difference between the maximal and neutral shoes.
The research is a first step in gathering evidence on the effects of maximal running shoes on runners’ injury risks, said Pollard, who is also a licensed physical therapist. Maximal shoes are becoming very popular, but without controlled studies, clinicians have been unable to make science-based recommendations to runners.
Pollard said she expects that a study with male runners might produce different results. “We know that gender differences in running biomechanics do exist,” she added.
- Stretchy, mesh running shoes with extra cushioning for all-day comfort
- Stretchable mesh upper for breathability
- Combined Cloudfoam midsole and outsole for step-in comfort and superior cushioning
- Cloudfoam memory sockliner molds to the foot for superior step-in comfort
- Sock-like construction hugs the foot
- Synthetic/mesh upper
- Responsive EVA midsole with ABZORB cushioning
- NB Response 2.0 performance insert
- Diverse Performance: With a durable rubber outsole and ties to high-end performance running shoes, the 520v6 delivers lasting comfort and a quality fit whether you’re running laps or running errands
- Soft and Stable: These comfortable shoes are equipped with NB Memory Sole Comfort Inserts as well as CUSH+ midsoles that offer ultra-soft cushioning while maintaining stability for everyday comfort
- Durable Upper Design: These lace-up shoes are crafted with durable suede and textile uppers that are designed to stand up to everyday wear-and-tear with style
- Lightweight Cushioned Support: Ground Contact IMEVA cushioning increases comfort without adding any extra weight to these everyday running shoes
- Versatile Everyday Shoe: Complete your favorite looks with the retro-inspired style of the 311v2. This modern sneaker is inspired by classic '70s joggers with a sleek silhouette that works for today
- Ortholite X-40 Sockliner - This premium sockliner features higher rebound properties while providing excellent moisture management and a high-level of breathability (Ortholite is a registered trademark of ATP Manufacturing LLC.)
- 1.5 inches heel
- Soft fabric shoe lining
- Perforated fabric mesh upper with Lycra stretch
- Adjustable bungee laces with toggle closure for a secure fit
- VI-LITE for the ultimate in lightweight shock absorption and cushioning
- Vibram XS RUN for maximal stable hardness for better ground contact and added grip
- Vibram MONT compound rubber outsole offers reliability on the most difficult terrain at low temperatures
- THIS WOMEN'S SHOE IS FOR: The Levitate 4 is perfect for runners who want a shoe that helps them by giving energy back with each step, the Levitate 4's DNA AMP is now 20% lighter so our highest energy return foam is better than ever.
- ENERGIZED CUSHIONING: Now 20% lighter, our DNA AMP midsole technology lets your foot spring off the ground with each step for speedy, efficient energy return.
- SECURE, SOCK-LIFE FIT: We updated the Fit Knit Upper to provide a close-to-foot fit that’s lighter, softer, and more breathable than before. The Levitate 4 runs more shallow and provides a slightly more snug fit. If looking for a more roomy fit, Brooks recommends sizing up by 1/2 a size
- QUICK TRANSITIONS: An updated arrow-point pattern on the outsole lets your foot move from heel to toe quickly, enhancing the shoe’s springy feel.
- WEAR TESTERS SAY: “ I loved the energy I felt when running in these. Great cushion and ride.”
- Knit textile upper
- Women's-specific fit
- Lightweight feel
- Geometric mesh upper with synthetic leather heel cap
- Seamless 3 Stripes
- ADJUSTABLE SHOE FOR RIGHT OR LEFT FOOT: Providing a safe and secure fit, two adjustable straps allow the surgical walking boot to easily accommodate casts or bandages. Versatile square toe design can be used on the left or right foot.
- SUPPORTIVE PROTECTION AFTER SURGERY: Keeping a cast or bandages dry and dirt-free, the Vive post op shoe provides exceptional support and protection following injury or surgery on the toes, foot, ankle or leg. The universal surgical walking boot can be used by men or women on either foot.
- NONSKID ROCKER SOLE: Non-skid tread provides extra stability while walking following surgery. The rigid rocker sole supports the arch and relieves pain and pressure on the forefoot and heel.
- LIGHTWEIGHT SQUARE TOE DESIGN: Lightweight post op shoe has a comfortable, wide square toe box to act as a bumper to protect the toes and provide additional room for bandages.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
- Truly unique: The New Balance fresh Foam Roav V1 running shoes are the ultimate in casual Athletic style. Pairing a bold, attractive look with plush comfort, these cushioned running shoes are in a League of their own
- Fresh Foam midsole: feel like you're running or walking in the clouds. The first of three proprietary technologies in this athletic shoe, fresh Foam midsole cushioning is precision engineered to deliver an ultra-cushioned, lightweight ride
- Endurance outsole: step up your game without wearing out your favorite running shoes. Endurance rubber outsole technology provides superior Durability in high-wear areas to help get more out of the shoes
- Ultra Heel: these neutral running shoes boast a head-turning heel that performs as well as it looks. The ultra Heel design hugs the back of the foot for a snug, supportive fit. This unique heel works alongside the bootie Upper for all-day comfort
- 8mm drop: these lightweight shoes feature a heel-to-toe drop of approximately 8mm. Due to variances created during development and manufacturing processes, references to 8mm are approximate
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.