Wearing footwear with an upward curvature at the front of the shoe – known as the toe spring – requires less work from the muscles of the feet to walk than shoes with a flatter sole, according to an experimental study published in Scientific Reports.
Toe springs keep the toes continually elevated above the ground in a flexed upwards position to help the front part of the foot roll forward when walking or running and are present in most modern athletic shoes, but their effect on natural foot function and vulnerability of the feet to injury has not been widely studied.
Freddy Sichting and colleagues from Harvard University, the Chemnitz University of Technology and Buffalo University investigated the effects of toe springs on foot biomechanics using a controlled experiment in which 13 participants walked barefoot on a treadmill at a comfortable walking pace. The participants were then asked to repeat the process wearing four different pairs of specially designed sandals with varying upward curvature of the toe region in order to simulate the curvature of modern athletic footwear. 3D motion data were captured using markers placed on each subject’s knee, ankle and foot.
The authors found that toe springs decrease the work of the muscles around the joints that connect the toes to the foot bones. The higher the upwards curve of the toes in respect to the rest of the foot, the less work the foot muscles had to perform to support the joints when walking.
The findings explain why toe springs are so comfortable and popular but suggest that shoes with toe springs may contribute to weakening of the foot muscles with long-term use. This may increase susceptibility to common pathological conditions such as plantar fasciitis, inflammation of the foot that connects the heel bone to the toes, according to the authors.
- style: race
- outer material: Synthetic
- closure type: snare
- Style#: BQ9646-002
- Nike React foam at the midsole is lightweight, springy and durable
- An Air Zoom unit at the forefoot is twice as large as previous versions, delivering more bounce with every step.
- It's top-loaded to be closer to your foot for better responsiveness.
- A midfoot band adapts to the size of your foot, keeping you comfortable and secure with every step.
- I.G.S (IMPACT GUIDANCE SYSTEM) TECHNOLOGY: ASICS design philosophy that employs linked componentry to enhance the foot's natural gait from heel strike to toe-off.
- AHAR PLUS OUTSOLE: Strategically positioned in critical areas of the outsole, this exceptionally durable compound is 50% more durable than standard ASICS High Abrasion Rubber.
- SEAMLESS CONSTRUCTION: The use of seamless materials reduces the potential for irritation and friction caused by traditional stitches and seams.
- FLYTEFOAM PROPEL TECHNOLOGY: ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- SPEVAFOAM 45 LASTING: Employs 45 degree full length SpEVAFOAM 45 lasting material for a soft platform feel and improved comfort.
- Style#: CK6357-001
- Padded collar and tongue for increased comfort
- TPU-outlined Swoosh design trademark
- Soft lining with cushioned insole
- Dual-density midsole gives you a soft, cushioned ride with Lunar foam underfoot
- Style#: CI9842-500
- Engineered specifically for a women’s foot, it offers a new underfoot experience while the overall lifted stance provides a modern aesthetic with unbelievable, on-the-go comfort.
- The Nike Air cushioning in the heel combines with soft, flexible foam for a comfortable experience that lasts.
- The mix of smooth leathers and textured fabrics allow for style versatility day-in, day-out while the padded collar sculpts your ankle for a sleek look that's comfortable.
- The modern branding and color palette offer a standout look for any wardrobe.
- The padding on the heel adapts to the foot and offers soft comfort; The rubber sole offers robust traction
- The mesh inserts in the forefoot area allow slight perspiration; The foam midsole
- The lacing wraps the foot for a secure grip with every step; Cage for the central part of the foot
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.