Wearing footwear with an upward curvature at the front of the shoe – known as the toe spring – requires less work from the muscles of the feet to walk than shoes with a flatter sole, according to an experimental study published in Scientific Reports.
Toe springs keep the toes continually elevated above the ground in a flexed upwards position to help the front part of the foot roll forward when walking or running and are present in most modern athletic shoes, but their effect on natural foot function and vulnerability of the feet to injury has not been widely studied.
Freddy Sichting and colleagues from Harvard University, the Chemnitz University of Technology and Buffalo University investigated the effects of toe springs on foot biomechanics using a controlled experiment in which 13 participants walked barefoot on a treadmill at a comfortable walking pace. The participants were then asked to repeat the process wearing four different pairs of specially designed sandals with varying upward curvature of the toe region in order to simulate the curvature of modern athletic footwear. 3D motion data were captured using markers placed on each subject’s knee, ankle and foot.
The authors found that toe springs decrease the work of the muscles around the joints that connect the toes to the foot bones. The higher the upwards curve of the toes in respect to the rest of the foot, the less work the foot muscles had to perform to support the joints when walking.
The findings explain why toe springs are so comfortable and popular but suggest that shoes with toe springs may contribute to weakening of the foot muscles with long-term use. This may increase susceptibility to common pathological conditions such as plantar fasciitis, inflammation of the foot that connects the heel bone to the toes, according to the authors.
- I.G.S (IMPACT GUIDANCE SYSTEM) TECHNOLOGY: ASICS design philosophy that employs linked componentry to enhance the foot's natural gait from heel strike to toe-off.
- AHAR PLUS OUTSOLE: Strategically positioned in critical areas of the outsole, this exceptionally durable compound is 50% more durable than standard ASICS High Abrasion Rubber.
- SEAMLESS CONSTRUCTION: The use of seamless materials reduces the potential for irritation and friction caused by traditional stitches and seams.
- FLYTEFOAM PROPEL TECHNOLOGY: ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- SPEVAFOAM 45 LASTING: Employs 45 degree full length SpEVAFOAM 45 lasting material for a soft platform feel and improved comfort.
- Style#: CD4365-001
- Small foam beads are contained in 2 compartments under your heel and midfoot. They conform to the shape of your foot for a stable feel.
- Light, durable foam cushions your forefoot to promote smooth transitions.
- Durable rubber is placed on the outsole in high-wear zones.
- Mesh wraps your foot in lightweight support. It lets air flow freely for cooling comfort.
- I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) Technology - ASICS design philosophy that employs linked componentry to enhance the foot's natural gait from heel strike to toe-off.
- SpevaFoam 45 Lasting - Employs 45 degree full length SpevaFoam 45 lasting material for a soft platform feel and improved comfort.
- Reflectivity - Contains reflective materials designed to enhance visibility during low light hours.
- Ortholite Sockliner - Moisture management (Ortholite is a registered trademark of ATP Manufacturing LLC).
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- Black/Neutral Grey-Dark Grey
- Designed for Obstacle Course and Trail Running - Made for rocky and technical terrain of OCR, Trail, Sky, and Mountain Running. Co-designed by Jon Albon, World Champion Sky Runner and OCR athlete.
- XTRM is built with cushioning units in the front and heel for maximum comfort while the full length rock plate protects your feet from sharp rocks and sticks. A medium last guarantees a secure ride with a toe box that not too narrow and not too wide. New FitLock secures your foot into the shoe for precise control.
- Outsole made of Butyl rubber - for VJ's legendary grip. A strengthened rubber toe-cap protects your toes. Upper is made from a custom blend of Kevlar and polyester designed to be tough and durable.
- Specs: 4mm drop - 8.8 oz (US M 8.5) - 6mm cleats on the outsole.
- MAXIMUM COMFORT - Cushioning units in the front and heel, for optimal sizing and comfort, we recommend going up a 1/2 size
- Style#: CK4305-700
- Perforated tongue helps resist water and increase drainage.
- Faux gaiter piece at the collar helps keep dirt and debris out.
- Midfoot cage helps your foot stay secure and contained.
- Pull tab at the heel for easy on and off.
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.