BEND, Ore. – Lower leg pain and injuries have long been a problem for runners, but research at Oregon State University-Cascades has shown that one type of running shoe may increase such risks for some runners.
Researchers in the Functional Orthopedic Research Center of Excellence (FORCE) Lab compared the biomechanics associated with “maximal” and “neutral” running shoes in tests with 15 female runners. The study concluded that runners experienced a higher impact peak and increased loading rate with the “maximal” shoes. Increases in both factors are associated with a greater likelihood of injury, such as plantar fasciitis and tibial stress fractures.
The study was published in The Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine and is believed to be the first rigorous analysis of impacts associated with maximal shoes.
Maximal running shoes feature increased cushioning, particularly in the forefoot region of the midsole, and have gained popularity since being introduced in 2010. More than 20 varieties of maximal shoes are on the market.
Runners wearing maximal shoes, the researchers wrote, have reported feeling the extra cushion after running two to three miles. As a result, the researchers did not expect to find increases in impact peak or loading rate in runners wearing maximal shoes.
In the FORCE Lab study, researchers evaluated the impacts on runners’ feet and legs before and after a simulated 5,000 meter (about 3 miles) run on a treadmill. Each subject wore a neutral running shoe (New Balance 880) for one test and then, after a seven to 10-day waiting period, repeated the procedure with a maximal shoe (Hoke One One Bondi 4). In each test, 3D movements and forces were measured by monitoring reflective markers placed on the runners’ shoes and legs and by having the subjects run over a “force plate” that recorded the forces being applied as the runner’s foot hit the surface.
“We were surprised by these results,” said Christine Pollard, director of the FORCE Lab and an associate professor of kinesiology. “We thought we would see the opposite. Typically, increased cushioning results in a reduction in the impact peak and loading rate of the vertical ground reaction force. We suspect that the large amount of cushioning across the entire midsole caused the runners to rely more on the shoe than on their own internal structures to attenuate these forces.”
The study also evaluated the degree of “peak eversion,” the outward turning of the foot, a factor associated with injury risk. The researchers found no difference between the maximal and neutral shoes.
The research is a first step in gathering evidence on the effects of maximal running shoes on runners’ injury risks, said Pollard, who is also a licensed physical therapist. Maximal shoes are becoming very popular, but without controlled studies, clinicians have been unable to make science-based recommendations to runners.
Pollard said she expects that a study with male runners might produce different results. “We know that gender differences in running biomechanics do exist,” she added.
- 4E Sizing built to better fit athletes with extra wide feet
- NEUTRAL: For runners who need a balance of flexibility & cushioning
- Lightweight mesh upper with 3-color digital print delivers complete breathability
- Durable leather overlays for stability & that locks in your midfoot
- EVA sockliner provides soft, step-in comfort
- The heel is made of synthetic leather, with a lining that guarantees comfort and support
- Hyperreactive soles with TPU zones that allow the right amount of stability, flexibility and movement
- Edges on the instep help provide control
- The technology in this soccer shoe is designed for the clinical striker who uses precision and power to end the game
- Maximal Comfort
- Rubber sole
- Shaft measures approximately low-top from arch
- Reebok Shoes
- PERFORM IN COMFORT: Our Mudslinger steel toe boots feature oil-, slip- and abrasion-resistant Timberland PRO outsoles for low-profile traction on a variety of surfaces. Cushiony EVA midsoles keep these waterproof work boots ready to perform in comfort.
- TIMBERLAND PRO 24/7 COMFORT SYSTEM: A comfort system that helps reduce foot fatigue, supports the arch and cushions every step.
- A SOURCE OF PRIDE: We know you take pride in your work, so our soft-toed shoes and boots and steel-toe boots and shoes are designed to provide you with enhanced job performance day in and day out. Wear them at work well as at home with comfort & style.
- QUALITY WORKWEAR: Timberland PRO assesses the unmet needs of those who work in the most demanding environments and then develops solutions that deliver ultimate comfort, durability & protection—all day long—from work boots & shoes to anti-fatigue insoles.
- TIMBERLAND PRO: Compare the quality workmanship of Timberland PRO work boots & work shoes to products from Justin, Muck Boots, Servus, Tingley, Doc Martens, Romeos, Red Wing, Merrell, Ariat, Cat, Wolverine, Maelstrom, Stanley, Keen or Carhartt.
- Inspired by the Vaporfly, the Nike Zoom Fly 3 gives distance runners race-day comfort and durability
- The propulsive power of a carbon fiber plate keeps you in the running mile after mile
- A full-length Nike React midsole balances cushioning and responsiveness with lightweight, durable foam that delivers an extremely smooth ride
- A carbon fiber plate inside the midsole can shrink or expand the amount of fiber layers for maximal flexibility in your stride
- An arch band attached to the laces helps take pressure off your instep
- Machine Wash Cold / Air Dry
- Perforated fabric mesh upper with Lycra stretch
- Anti-Microbial Drilex Sockliner
- Adjustable bungee laces with toggle closure for a secure fit
- VI-LITE for the ultimate in lightweight shock absorption and cushioning
- Vibram XS RUN for maximal stable hardness for better ground contact and added grip
- SUPER LIGHT-WEIGHT, BREATHABLE
- FITTING ADVISE: TRUE TO SIZE!
- Selection of good material, breathable, lightweight, comfortable shoes. Fashion unique durable, safe environmental protection material
- High elastic MD outsole,slip resistant,easy to manage any area;Suitable for party, sports, indoor, outdoor ,any occasion, casual and trend
- Men's Running Shoes Fashion Breathable Sneakers Mesh Soft Sole Casual Athletic Lightweight
- TORSION EFFICIENCY UNIT: Responsive without being overly supportive – The Torsion Efficiency Unit brings sturdiness to the shoe. It is appropriately placed to generate maximal running efficiency.
- RECOIL MIDSOLE: The material in the midsole is a newly developed compound named RECOIL - which is a super lightweight cushioning compound that releases a high rebound energy effect.
- EXOSKELETON DESIGN: This part of the design construction eliminates friction and reduces the impact of the side forces in the soft parts of the foot, especially underneath the forefoot.
- 2 LAYER CONSTRUCTION:. It adds durable abilities while keeping the weight at a minimum. This results in extremely breathable characteristics and a quick, responsive feel to running experience.
- ANATOMICAL HEEL CUP: Theel cup is specifically designed to add minimal weight to your shoes, creating a transformable, adaptive fit.
- GRID, Injection Molded EVA,
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.