Runners who wear trainers with no cushioning and land on the ball of their foot rather than the heel put significantly less demand on their bodies, new research suggests.
Researchers compared how quickly the force acts when runners’ feet hit the ground — known as the loading rate — which has been shown to influence running injury risk.
The study of 29 runners found significantly lower loading rates for those who wore so-called minimal trainers and landed on the ball of their foot, compared to people in normal running shoes, regardless of whether the latter landed on the heel or ball of the foot.
Lead author Dr Hannah Rice, of the University of Exeter, said: “So many people use running as a means of reducing the risk of chronic diseases, but about three quarters of runners typically get injured in a year.
“Footwear is easily modifiable but many runners are misguided when it comes to buying new trainers. “This research shows that running in minimal shoes and landing on the balls of your feet reduces loading rates and may therefore reduce the risk of injury.”
Running continues to grow in popularity, and research aimed at reducing the high incidence of running-related injuries has been ongoing for decades — but injury rates have not fallen.
Modern-day runners in cushioned footwear tend to land on their heel — known as a “rearfoot strike” — while those who run in the natural barefoot state are more likely to land on the ball of their foot – a “forefoot strike”.
Rearfoot strike runners experience an abrupt vertical impact force each time the foot lands on the ground. This impact force is often missing when running with a forefoot strike, but previous research has shown that forward/backwards and sideways forces can be higher with a forefoot strike, meaning the total force is similar.
Total force seems to be similar between foot strikes if wearing modern, cushioned trainers.
Dr Rice said: “This seems to suggest that, for runners in traditional, cushioned running shoes, foot strike pattern may not matter for injury risk.
“However, we suspected that the same may not be true of runners who regularly use minimal shoes, which don’t have the cushioning provided by traditional running shoes.
“Our research tells us that becoming accustomed to running with a forefoot strike in shoes that lack cushioning promotes a landing with the lowest loading rates, and this may be beneficial in reducing the risk of injury”
Any transition to new footwear or to a different foot strike pattern should be undertaken gradually, and with guidance.
- Vibram TC5+
- TrailProtect pad offers underfoot protection
- A wide toe box lets your toes spread and relax.
- Produced using animal free products and processes.
- Removable sockliner (insole) if you want a “more barefoot” feeling.
- True rubber sole provides great protection while still getting the ground feedback.
- Note, if between sizes, order next size down
- Mesh Upper- Allows air to penetrate the fabric for a cool, comfortable environment.
- M-Select FRESH- Antimicrobial agents reduce shoe odour for a fresher for longer feeling.
- Hyperlock TPU Film Heel Counter- Locked-in, secure feel.
- Traditional Lace Up System- Adjustable fit for added security.
- Moulded Nylon Arch Shank- Supportive structure diminishes load on feet and calves.
- Anatomical shape provides natural comfort.
- Adaptive materials and minimalist construction.
- Zero drop from heel to toe for a natural stride.
- Our vegan friendly footwear uses 0% animal products.
- Note, if between sizes, order next size down.
- Midsole Cushioning: These New Balance sneakers feature a REVlite midsole that delivers incredibly lightweight cushioning and provides a responsive ride for comfortable all-day wear
- Underfoot Comfort: With an NB Memory Sole Comfort Insert that offers a plush feel with every step, this everyday shoe for women was made for wearing anywhere and everywhere
- Sleek Design and Supportive Fit: Stay comfortable and stylish as you go about your day with the contemporary bootie design. The bootie upper construction hugs your foot for a snug, supportive fit
- Lightweight Feel: The modern, eye-catching upper on these cross-trainers uses mesh and synthetic materials for a super lightweight feel that helps keep you light on your feet
- Find Your Ideal Style: The FuelCore Nergize sneaker is available in a range of colors to suit your personal taste and preferences for easy, no-fuss styling you can dress up or down with ease
- SIZE GUIDE: For comfortable, please choose one size Bigger
- Five-toe box design running shoes help you feel like you're barefoot for lightweight comfort.Mesh and TPU upper provides lasting flexibility and breathable
- Adjustable hook-and-loop closure at instep for a more secure fit
- Machine washable. Air dry away from sun or heat source
- Specialized sole offers excellent grip properties on both dry and wet terrains while maintaining a higher level of durability, suitable for trekking and multisport as well as all season hiking and travel.
- Runs small, Go up a size
- Lightly padded tongue & speed lacing system.Care - Machine Wash Cold / Air Dry
- Serrated blade lug design.Select half size up or down
- XS Trek Outsole
- Zero Drop
- TSLA : Zero-Drop Cross-Trainer shoes designed for barefoot performance and outdoor trail activities
- Alert : Choose 1/2 size down! We strongly recommend based on customer's reviews
- ex: usual size MEN 7 (D) > MEN 6.5(D)
- Slightly cushioned zero-drop sole : Offers barefoot feel of the terrain that stimulates and develops the bottom muscles of the foot for better stability.
- Dura Nylon Band : For instep support and a enhanced tight fit.
- Minimalist running shoe featuring perforated upper with adjustable pull tab and cord closure
- VI-Lite Midsole with XS Run outsole rubber compound
- Mont Compound rubber pads in the outsole. INSOLE: 2mm EVA Anti-Microbial Drilex Sockliner, MIDSOLE: 4mm EVA
- Please be aware this product runs one size large. Please size down 1 size from your normal VFF size
- Removable insole
- Rubber outsole
- Low profile silhouette and cross-country platform creates an authentic retro feel.
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.