New research from La Trobe University suggests there is no evidence that changing a runner’s strike pattern will help prevent injuries or give them a speed boost.
In a bid to avoid shin splints, sore knees and other injuries, many runners have adopted a toe-to-heel trend, running on the balls of their feet. This is often encouraged by coaches and health professionals.
However, in research out this week in Sports Medicine, La Trobe injury researcher and physiotherapist Dr Christian Barton found there is no evidence to suggest running on the front of your feet reduces injury risk or improves performance.
“We analysed 53 studies which looked at the impact of forefoot, rearfoot and flatfoot running patterns on injury, running economy and running biomechanics,” senior author of the study, Dr Barton said
“Our comprehensive review suggests that telling someone to run on the ball of their foot instead of their heel may make them less efficient, at least in the short term. Additionally, there is no evidence either way on whether running on the balls of your feet reduces injury.”
Dr Barton said switching your running style shifts the body’s loads but doesn’t make them disappear.
“Running toe-heel might help injuries at the knee, where loads are reduced. However, it may cause injuries to the feet and ankle, where loads are increased,” Dr Barton said.
“Put simply, when it comes to running style: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Beverly, Jonathan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 242 Pages - 06/13/2017 (Publication Date) - Rodale Books (Publisher)
- Napier, Chris (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 224 Pages - 02/04/2020 (Publication Date) - DK (Publisher)
- Troy McDonough (Actor)
- Audience Rating: NR (Not Rated)
- The Real Techniques Mini Miracle Complexion Sponges are 3 in 1 multifunctional mini miracle complexion sponges leave skin with a smooth and natural-looking finish
- Best used with liquid or cream foundations
- Latex-free revolutionary foam technology made from polyurethane foam
- 4 mini makeup blending sponges great for touch-ups on the go and travel!
- 100% Cruelty-Free and Vegan
- 30-Day iFIT Family Membership Included; Stream live & on-demand workouts on your equipment with Global Workouts & Studio Classes; Add up to 5 users; Elite trainers adjust your equipment ($39 value)
- Immersive 10-inch interactive HD touchscreen streams on-demand iFIT workouts directly to your equipment and provides easy stats tracking; SMART-Response motor for effective running and cardio training
- -3 to 15 % OneTouch incline control; 12 MPH SMART OneTouch speed control; Your iFIT Trainer auto-adjusts your speed and incline to meet trainer requirements and match real-world terrain
- Innovative SpaceSaver design with EasyLift Assist means your treadmill can fold up after your run for compact, simple storage; 22” x 60” tread belt for leg and elbow space; Runners Flex cushioning
- 300-pound user capacity; Protected with a 10-year frame warranty, 2-year parts warranty, and 1-year labor warranty; 62.75” H x 39.25” W x 81.25” L
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Simon Baker, Samson Coulter, Ben Spence (Actors)
- Simon Baker (Director) - Simon Baker (Writer) - Simon Baker (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- EXTENDED WIRELESS COVERAGE: Adds Wi-Fi range coverage up to 1000 sq ft, and connects up to 15 devices such as laptops, smartphones, speakers, IP cameras, tablets, IoT devices, and more.
- AC750 WI-FI SPEED: Provides up to 750Mbps performance using dual-band and patented FastLane(TM) technology.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Works with any wireless router, gateway, or cable modem with Wi-Fi.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORT: Simply plug in game consoles, streaming players, or other nearby wired devices using the one 10/100M port for maximum speed.
- SAFE & SECURE: Supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols.
- 3 DVD Boxset
- Sleek Technique Ballet Body Box Set consists of 3 DVDs:
- Sleek Ballet Bootcamp, Sleek Barre Technique & Full Ballet Body Sculpt
- Flik Swan, Victoria Marr (Actors)
- Matt Wright (Director) - Christine Romano (Producer)
- Top VR gaming library: Blast, slash and soar your way through the top library in VR gaming. Oculus Rift S lets you play hundreds of games and exclusives already available in the Oculus store, with so much more to come.
- Improved optics: Stare down the competition with next-generation lenses and a sharper display. Improved optics deliver bright, vivid colors and reduced “screen-door” effect.
- Ergonomic design: Keep your head in the game thanks to a Halo headband redesigned with speed in mind. Rift S stays securely and comfortably in place with a quick twist of the fit wheel, so it can take-or double take-your fastest reactions.
- Oculus touch controllers: Arm yourself with our updated Oculus touch controllers. Your slashes, throws and grab appear in VR with intuitive, realistic precision, transporting your hands and gestures right into the game.
- Oculus insight tracking: take a step forward with Oculus insight. It translates your movements into VR No matter which way you're facing and provides room-scale tracking without external sensors.
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.