The list has been compiled following introduction of the requirement on 31 January 2020 that any new shoe that an athlete proposes to wear in international competitions needed to be assessed by World Athletics.
The list does not contain every shoe ever worn by an athlete but it does include some older models of shoes that manufacturers sent to World Athletics for assessment by its independent expert. The position with older shoes that are not on the list is that they still need to comply with the rule going forward. The athlete, or their representative, will need to ensure their older shoe complies with Rule 5.13 in terms of the maximum sole thicknesses for their specified event and any inserted plate or blade, including spike plates if relevant.
Under Rule 5 of the Technical Rules, athletes (or their representative) have the responsibility to provide World Athletics with specifications of the new shoes the athlete proposes to wear in competition. World Athletics accepts shoe specification and samples submitted by manufacturers for further examination.
If there is doubt about a shoe (particularly shoes that no other athlete has) then athletes, officials and meeting organisers should first refer to the approved list.
If the competition referee has a reasonable suspicion that a shoe worn by an athlete might not comply with the rules then at the conclusion of the competition the referee may request the shoe be handed over for further investigation by World Athletics.
The list of approved shoes will be updated regularly to reflect any new information received.
“Transitioning rules is never easy but is significantly harder with the current pandemic and the challenges we all face in staging, competing and providing kit and equipment during this time. We will continue to communicate, clarify and explain the rules and would like to thank our athletes, Member Federations, meeting organisers, shoe companies and technical officials for working with us to ensure the rules are understood and adhered to and, when this is not possible, that we resolve issues quickly, consistently and compassionately within the framework of the rules,” said World Athletics CEO, Jon Ridgeon.
- Running shoes
- Mesh upper
- Soft and balanced cushioning
- A LIGHTWEIGHT FIT An all-new version of Flyknit technology is stronger and more durable than previous iterations. It features 3 distinct layers to help keep your foot secure, while providing a lightweight and flexible feel when you move.
- A STABLE FEEL Higher foam stack heights provide a softer feel. A wider shape provides a more stable ride, helping release energy with every step.
- A SMOOTH RIDE The shape of the Nike React foam midsole is all about zonal performance, providing support for the 3 phases of a runner's stride—flexibility at toe-off, a smooth ride at mid-stance and cushioning at contact
- Style#: CK6357-001
- Padded collar and tongue for increased comfort
- TPU-outlined Swoosh design trademark
- Soft lining with cushioned insole
- Dual-density midsole gives you a soft, cushioned ride with Lunar foam underfoot
- Style#: CK6360-001
- A dual-density midsole gives you a soft, cushioned ride with Lunar foam underfoot. The design is constructed to run along the sidewall, providing comfort with every step.
- Breathable mesh in the upper helps keep you secure and comfortable, while increasing airflow. Its stretchy material provides a better fit for more room at the toes.
- The durable rubber outsole provides traction where you need it to help you stay focused on the miles ahead.
- TPU-outlined Swoosh design trademark
- Brand New
- 100% Authentic
- Original Packaging
- Style#: CD0490-101
- The low-top design combines with padded collar for a sleek look that feels soft and comfortable.
- Originally designed for performance running, the Max Air unit adds unbelievable cushioning.
- The rubber Waffle sole adds traction, durability and heritage style.
- Stitched overlays and TPU accents add durability, comfort and the iconic '90s look you love.
- Style#: CI3871-001
- Space suit-inspired upper features quilting details for a plus look
- Reflective details for low light visibility
- 720 Air unit is the entire length of the shoe and offers cushioned comfort
- Dual-density foam midsole for even more support
- Gender: mens
- Lining Material: Mesh Cotton Fabric
- Insole Material: EVA
- Outsole Material: Rubber PVC
- Running shoes: basketball shoes
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.